Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My cousin, Mrs. Khan


My cousin is engaged.
To a man.
Who calls himself Genghis.

Except he doesn’t spell it “Genghis.” However, if I were to carelessly toss his preferred spelling out here on the internets, I would be accepting the risk that some innocent Googler, in his or her search for my cousin and/or her favorite misspelled Mongol, would find my blog, thereby causing a Harriet the Spy­­-esque debacle resulting in full-on black sheep status. It’s not unlikely, either, because if you happen to Google his name, every result is related to him. I’m pretty sure this is because most people who decide to name themselves after their favorite conquerors use spell check before creating their Everquest profiles.

There are many other wonderful factoids I could divulge about Genghis and his mysterious relationship with my cousin. For example, he is 35 and she is approximately 20, and they’re in the same college class. I could also mention that he doesn’t have a driver’s license for some unknown reason, despite living in an area where driving is crucial. But really, I think the whole situation is best summed up by referring to the third sentence (fragment) of this post.

To be fair, based on the information I have gleaned via research (while determining the likelihood I would be found out if I used his real name) he seems like a decent guy, and he seems to genuinely care about my cousin. I haven’t met him yet, but I’m sure I’ll have the honor at their wedding, if nobody discovers this post.

But really, “Genghis?” Are they going to name their first-born child Attila?

No comments: