Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Onion is so aptly named. Under the first layer of mockery and humor are several layers of truth. Consider this latest example.

As a 26-year-old who only goes to drinking establishments in her hometown approximately twice a year, I can relate (or, at least, in nearby towns...I'm not even sure there ARE any bars in my town, really). I am less bitter than the fictional Jordan McCabe, but I do have those moments where some former cheerleader, who wouldn't have been caught dead pretending to like me in high school, suddenly seems really excited to see me. My optimistic side would like to believe that this is because we have all moved on from high school stereotypes and cliques and whatnot, but I'm more inclined to believe it's some combination of fake-niceness (possibly my least favorite personality trait) and southern manners.

Personally, I am honestly quite happy to see anyone I recognize from high school. If you genuinely want to be friends now, even if we never talked, that's just super. There are a few people from my past who I am just now getting to know, and it's great. And if you're genuinely a giant asshole fuckface, even if we never talked, I will enjoy making fun of you with anyone else who might remember you.

1 comment:

Jill said...

High school's so weird. I've gone to a couple of parties recently that were chock full of people I went to college with, and no one does that phony remember-how-good-friends-we-never-were stuff. Is it a southern thing? The fact that college was more recent? Or is it just high school? The world may never know.